Saturday, October 03, 2020

PAUL LAWRIE BIDS FAREWELL TO EUROPEAN TOUR

Scotland's Paul Lawrie has confirmed that this week's ASI Scottish Open will be his last appearance at a regular European Tour event.


The 51-year-old Scot registered fifteen Professional wins in a career spanning nearly three decades, with the highlight being his dramatic major victory at The Open Championship in 1999. He also played in two Ryder Cups and was a vice-captain at Hazeltine in 2016.

Lawrie will still hold an exemption to compete at The Open until he is 60 and intends to continue playing competitively on the Legends Tour, the over-50s circuit in Europe.

After his opening round at The ASI Scottish Open, Paul Lawrie said:

"There are a lot of factors, the main one being that I don't feel I can be compete week in, week out at this level."

"I'm really busy off the course and I'm enjoying doing that stuff more than I am actually playing at this level. I'll play seniors. I'm not going to stop playing completely, but this will be my last European Tour event."

"I turned pro when I was a five handicap, so I never thought I'd play any European Tour at this level, so to play 620 is pretty cool."

Lawrie, who runs his own junior foundation and golf centre in Aberdeen, launched the Tartan Pro Tour this summer, a developmental circuit of 36-hole events open to both male and female professionals. He also manages several players through his Five Star Sports Agency.

In 2013 Paul Lawrie received an OBE for voluntary service to golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment