Monday, October 05, 2020

MEL REID WINS FIRST LPGA TITLE AT SHOPRITE CLASSIC

England's Mel Reid won her first LPGA Tour title with a tournament-record winning score of -19 at the ShopRite LPGA Classic.


Mel Reid (ENG), who is a six-time Ladies European Tour (LET) winner and three-time European Solheim Cup Team member, led by one overnight and shot a four-under-par 67 in Sunday's final round to take victory by two shots at the ShopRite LPGA Classic in New Jersey on -19.

Jennifer Kupcho (USA) finished second on -17 after a final round of 68, one ahead of her fellow American Jennifer Song (USA), who shot a 69 to finish third on -16.

After her win Reid, who squandered a two-shot lead after three rounds in Portland last month, said:

"It's a huge relief. It's so emotional. I just wanted to kind of redeem myself. I'm proud how I handled myself."

"No matter what life throws at you it depends how you handle it," said Reid. "I made a huge sacrifice moving to America, leaving my comfort zone, my friends and my family, and it's paid off. You know, I wanted to be a world-class athlete, I always wanted to be a world-class athlete, and to finally get the job done is a huge sigh of relief."

"People can't take away the fact that I'm an LPGA winner against a world-class field. It just goes to show you just got to keep going. Things will get tough, and I will have tough years as well ahead of me. As long as you just keep your head down and doing the right things, good things will happen to good people."

No comments:

Post a Comment