Tuesday, June 09, 2020

FIRST USA SOLHEIM CUP VICE-CAPTAIN IS ANNOUNCED

The USA Solheim Cup Captain, Pat Hurst, has confirmed the first of her assistant captains for the 2021 Solheim Cup.


The 17th Solheim Cup is scheduled to be played from Tuesday 31 August to Monday 6 September 2021 at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio.

Pat Hurst, who was one of Juli Inkster’s assistant captains at the last three Solheim Cups, was appointed as the USA Captain for the 2021 Solheim Cup in January. This week Hurst announced that one of her assistant captains will be major champion and six-time USA team member Angela Stanford.

Pat Hurst said:

“As soon as Mike Whan asked me to be the USA captain, I knew that I wanted Angela by my side as an assistant captain.”

"Her fire, her passion, her determination, her love for the Red, White and Blue, those are all qualities I want on my team. I have no doubt that Angela will be a tremendous asset to the team as we look to win back the Cup in Toledo next September.”

Angela Stanford said:

“My six Solheim Cup teams are among the highlights of my career and I’m excited to take this next step as an assistant captain. I’m really looking forward to being back in the Team room, where we’re all after the same goal and we all have the same passion to win the Cup. This is an incredible honour and I can’t thank Pat enough for having me on her team.”

“Pat took me under her wing from the beginning of my career and I’ve learned so much from spending time with her. There’s this ease about her, but she’s still so confident and positive. I loved getting to be her playing partner in Sweden and now I’m so excited that she picked me to be her assistant captain in Toledo.

Pat Hurst has competed in five Solheim Cups, four of which the USA team won. She represented the USA at the event in 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005 and 2007 and has a 10-7-3 record. She has also served as one of Juli Inkster’s assistant captains at the past three Solheim Cups. The USA team won the first two of those encounters before losing the third at Gleneagles in 2019.

Angela Stanford has competed in six Solheim Cups. She represented the USA at the event in 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015. In 2015 she earned the winning point for the USA team with her 2-and-1 victory over Suzann Pettersen. Hurst and Stanford both played on the 2007 American Solheim Cup team that defeated Europe at Sweden’s Halmstad Golf Club.

Catriona Matthew, who led Europe to a sensational win by 14½ to 13½ at Gleneagles last year, has been reappointed as the European Captain for the 2021 Solheim Cup. Matthew has already confirmed that her vice-captains will be Kathryn Imrie, Dame Laura Davies and Suzann Pettersen.

No comments:

Post a Comment