Thursday, July 23, 2020

MICHELLE WIE WEST IS USA SOLHEIM CUP VICE-CAPTAIN

USA Solheim Cup CaptainPat Hurst, has confirmed the second of her vice-captains for the 2021 Solheim Cup.


The 17th Solheim Cup is scheduled to be played from Tuesday 31 August to Monday 6 September 2021 at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio.

Pat Hurst, who served as one of Juli Inkster’s vice-captains at the last three Solheim Cups, was appointed as the USA Captain for The 2021 Solheim Cup in January. Last month, Hurst announced that major champion and six-time USA Solheim Cup team member Angela Stanford would be one of her vice-captains. Today, Hurst announced that the second of her vice-captains would be 2014 US Women’s Open champion and five-time USA Solheim Cup team member Michelle Wie West.

Wie West will join Stanford to work alongside Hurst when Team USA bid to win back the trophy following Europe's victory at Gleneagles last September.

Pat Hurst said:

“Naming Michelle as an assistant captain was an incredibly easy decision for me. She reached out to see if she could be involved with the team, and I quickly knew that I wanted her as one of my assistants. She’s out there playing with the younger players, and since I’ve been off the Tour for a while, that’s a crucial asset for me to have, first with Angela and now with Michelle. I can’t wait to work with this team as we look forward to our week at Inverness Club next year.”

Michelle Wie West said:

“When I heard that Pat had been named the captain for Team USA, I immediately knew that I had to be part of her team. Pat was my POD leader when we played in Germany and Iowa and I learned so much from her leadership and friendship. Those weeks were great opportunities to learn from one of the best players and coaches I know, and to work alongside her is going to be an amazing experience.”

“My five times playing for Team USA at the Solheim Cup and wearing the Red, White and Blue – those are incredible highlight moments in my career. This next step as an assistant captain is going to be yet another highlight moment, and I’m so grateful to Pat for giving me this opportunity. Our week in Toledo next year is going to be an absolute blast.”

Michelle Wie West has competed in five Solheim Cups, representing the USA in 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017. She went an undefeated 3-0-1 in her Solheim Cup debut in 2009, when she became just the second LPGA Tour rookie in history to play on Team USA.

Catriona Matthew, who led Europe to a sensational win by 14½ to 13½ at Gleneagles last year, has been reappointed as the European Captain for the 2021 Solheim Cup. Matthew has already confirmed that her vice-captains will be Kathryn ImrieDame Laura Davies and Suzann Pettersen.

No comments:

Post a Comment