Sunday, November 15, 2020

EMILY PEDERSEN WINS SAUDI LADIES INTERNATIONAL

Emily Pedersen won the Saudi Ladies International after a dramatic play-off against 2019 Solheim Cup star Georgia Hall.


Denmark's Emily Pedersen made Ladies European Tour (LET) history at the inaugural Aramco Saudi Ladies International with a dramatic birdie on the first play-off hole to win her second LET title of the season from major winner Georgia Hall, after the pair tied in regulation at -10.

As a result of the victory, the 24-year-old Dane has extended her lead to an almost unassailable position in the Race to Costa del Sol and will collect the season’s largest winner’s check, outside of the majors, of €150,000.

After her win Emily Pedersen said:

"It’s very special, I am very happy that I got to be the first person to win a tournament here and I think it is great that we are playing here. The country has a bright future in golf and hopefully we’ll be back for many years."

"I’m really proud that I got it back twice, I feel like I was out of it at the start of the front nine, then again at the start of the back nine but I kept fighting back."

"I changed my strategy on the 18th. I’ve hit driver the last three days, but I’ve been a bit off and with the flag on the right side we talked about laying it up left and accessing the back pin. I knew I had to make a birdie on the last and I just kind of felt the shot. It was one of the best shots I’ve ever hit."

Gracious in defeat, Georgia Hall said:

"I played well today, and it was certainly windier than yesterday. It was just a shame my putt on 18 didn’t go in. Emily hit an amazing shot on the last hole in regulation and it was very brave. I’m really pleased for her as she’s a really nice girl and she hit a fantastic chip (in the playoff) and that’s where I lost it."

Scotland's Carly Booth and Alison Muirhead finished in a group of five players tied for 16th on -2, while Kelsey MacDonald finished tied for 38th on +5 and Kylie Hendry finished tied for 55th on +9.

No comments:

Post a Comment