Tuesday, April 26, 2022

GRACE CRAWFORD WINS THE R&A GIRLS’ U16 AMATEUR

Huge congratulations to Scotland's Grace Crawford (West Links Junior) who won The R&A Girls’ U16 Amateur Championship in style on Sunday.

Scotland's Grace Crawford, who won the Helen Holm Scottish Women’s Open at Royal Troon last week, finished with an eagle to claim The R&A Girls’ U16 Amateur Championship by 4 shots at Enville.

After rounds of 73 & 75, Crawford held a two-shot lead heading into the final 18-holes. Despite a shaky start, the Scot shot 72 to finish with a four-over-par total of 220 and win comfortably from England’s Isla McDonald O’Brien (72) and Poland's Kunga Kusmierska (74) who shared second on 224.

Crawford, who is mentored by the two-time winning Solheim Cup captain Catriona Matthew, is the second Scot to win the Girls Under-16 Amateur after Broomieknowe’s Hannah Darling claimed victory in the inaugural edition in 2018 at Fulford.

The 15-year-old Scot from North Berwick has made her final appearance in the Girls’ U16 Amateur having first started playing in it aged 12.

After her win, Grace Crawford said:
“I feel amazing. I think this is a really special one for me. I’ve played in this championship since I was 12, so it is really nice to finally get the win in my last year."

"It was an up-and-down round, but I was just enjoying it as this is what we work for. It was fun. Winning last week gave me a lot of confidence coming off of it and I’ve managed to do it again."

The top four players have gained an exemption into the Girls’ Amateur Championship at Carnoustie in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment