Wednesday, September 09, 2020

HEATHER MACRAE WINS THE WPGA CHAMPIONSHIP

Scotland's Heather MacRae birdied the last two holes at Kedleston Park to pull off a dramatic win at The 2020 WPGA Championship.


Defending champion, Heather MacRae shot rounds of 70 and 75 to finish on a three-under total of 145 and retain her title by one shot from the 2018 champion, Keely Chiericato (Manston Golf Club).

Former British and US Women’s Open champion Alison Nicholas MBE (Beau Desert Golf Club), finished a shot further back in third.

After the morning round, Heather MacRae was leading the field with Anna Smith (London Golf Club) on four under, four-shots clear of MacRae's playing partners, Keely Chiericato and Alison Nicholas, who were in a five-way tie for second.

In the afternoon MacRae looked to be in control as Smith's challenge faded, but a bogey at the 15th followed by a double at the 16th dropped the Scot back to one-over and into a tie for the lead with Chiericato.

MacRae and Chiericato both birdied 17 to remain tied at the last, but MacRae held her nerve and produced a stunning birdie at the 18th to take the title.

After her win MacRae said:

"I had no idea what was going on with the scores until I came up 17 and I saw that me and Keely were tied, but I made two nice birdies to finish and I was happy about that."

"I’ve won quite a few trophies, but I’ve never managed to defend one successfully before. It’s not as emotional as last year, but I’m still delighted to win as it’s one of the tournaments I really look forward to playing in."

No comments:

Post a Comment