Saturday, August 22, 2020

TWO SCOTS STILL IN THE MIX AT AIG WOMEN'S OPEN

Scotland's Catriona Mathew and Michele Thomson are both safely into the weekend at the AIG Women's Open.
Matthew, who started the second day tied for fourth after a one-under 70, briefly moved into a share of the lead after a birdie at the third. 

But the 2009 champion struggled on the back nine and had to settle for a five-over 76, six behind the leader Daniela Holmqvist.

After her round, Matthew said,

“It was really tough out there, a lot tougher today actually. It was just a crosswind today, so downwind played as tough coming as going out.”

It wasn't a million miles away today. I think I just lost a bit of confidence. "

I'm happy to be playing at the weekend and I just need to swing it a bit better as I wasn't really committing to shots in that wind."

Michele Thomson also made it to the weekend after she added a 77 to her first round 73 to finish at eight-over. Delighted to have survived the cut in her very first major, Thomson said:

"Two more rounds on an amazing golf course on my major debut, I couldn't ask for more. It was definitely a grind out there, but I'm looking forward to the weekend."

No comments:

Post a Comment